Monday, March 3, 2014

Pagan.

For anyone who might have been wondering why I make so many Goddess figures, Green Men, and Pentacles... yes, I'm actually Pagan.

As a matter of fact, sometimes I DO dress as a witch for Halloween!


Rather than turn this into a Paganism 101 post (there are already plenty of those all over the internet) I'll give you a brief description of what that means for me:
  1. I believe in many Gods. They might be many faces of the same Oneness. They might be separate and distinct Divine Entities. They might be Archetypal Divinities that wear different masks for different peoples. I'm not really concerned with which of these is the Actual 100% Truth. There are many Gods, and that's enough for me. 
  2. I believe the Divine, the Earth, and all Living Things, are Sacred and connected. The web of life is incomprehensibly complex, and it is our duty to tread lightly upon it, to the best of our individual abilities. And since all living things are sacred, all living things--human or animal, regardless of sex, sexuality, religion, philosophy, nationality, or ability--deserve compassion and respect.
  3. I believe in the power and sacred nature of symbolism. Some people call this "magic," some people call this "psychology." I believe that someday we'll know enough about how the brain works to understand exactly why certain symbols hold such immense power for certain peoples. Until then, I can only acknowledge that symbolism is very powerful, and I incorporate symbols that are meaningful to me into my art.

That's pretty much it. I don't follow any specific path, though I've wandered along several in the past. I don't follow any particularly specific dogmas or philosophies, though I'm pretty well versed in quite a few. I don't have any set pantheon, though I've been called to follow and learn from various God/desses at various times, and I'm grateful to all who have been gracious enough to teach me.


 


So now I feel that I should explain a bit of my history.

When I was nine years old (1989), I did a book report on Edith Hamilton's Mythology. It struck me, profoundly and certainly, that the Gods and Goddesses once worshiped across the Earth were none other than the Angels and Saints I was taught to worship in school. The same Divine Beings, with different masks and different myths, to better serve different peoples.

The nuns were not amused.

Still, this idea stayed with me, and I believed it--though I kept it a careful secret!--for years afterwards.

The summer of my 17th birthday (1997) was an emancipating time for me. I was getting ready to leave for college, and I felt free. I learned about Wicca that summer--yes, it was that book, To Ride a Silver Broomstick, I admit it!--and as cliche as it is to say, it was like I'd come home. Like a lightbulb went on in a darkened room. Like I grew wings.

I called myself Wiccan for many years, because in those days, that was pretty much what you had to choose from. You could be Dianic, Gardnerian, Saex, etc., but chances were, different forms of Wicca were all you were familiar with. I was never particularly Wiccan, though. It was just the best name I had; it never sat well.

I worked with the names and knowledge I had, though. I studied several traditions as far as I could without being initiated (it never made sense to me to go through an Initiation when I knew that the path wasn't "quite right") and devoured history, mythology, and occult lore. I networked on forums and chat sites, and practiced in solitary and groups; I was active in my college's Pagan Student Association, even acting as Public Relations Coordinator and Education Coordinator for them for quite a few years.

I even helped coordinate a few on-campus festivals. Maypole in the middle of the dorms? Why not?


So look at those dates for a minute. I've been a firm polytheist for twenty-five years. I've been actively practicing the magical arts and studying paganism--both historic and modern--for seventeen. I'm not the oldest crone in the coven, but if they gave PhDs in Paganism I could have gotten my tenure by now.

So much for it being "just a phase,"  I guess.

But, you may rightly ask, why am I bringing this up? Am I trying to flash some Elder Witch card? Act all More Magical Than Thou?

Naw. There are so many Elders in our community with infinitely more wisdom, knowledge, and experience than me. Claiming anything like that would be the height of hubris.

But I do want you to understand where I'm coming from with my art.

When I make an image of the Goddess, or craft a Greenman, I'm not spinning off some image for purely aesthetic reasons. When I create a pentacle, I'm not trying to tap into some edgy, pop-culture-supernatural market.

These items are created out of love and devotion, and years of study and practice.

And, yes, a bit of humor, as well. Laughter, too, is Divine.



No comments:

Post a Comment